“The Power of Service to Heal” by Michael Lucas, Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation
Thanks to Michael Lucas, deputy director, Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation (AVLF), for this week’s Historic Westside column.
In the spirit of “the more we, the more I can get done,” AVLF has built a community-based collaborative model to provide top-tier pro-bono legal services to Westside residents facing illegal evictions, unsafe living conditions and other manifestations of malignant greed preying upon the disenfranchised.
In his column’s call to “healing,” Michael reminds us of Dr. King’s quote that to create the beloved community “…will require a qualitative change in our souls as well as a quantitative change in our lives.” ( This quote is from Dr. King’s essay: “Nonviolence: The Only Road to Freedom.” Originally published by Ebony Magazine, October 1966.)
John Ahmann, President and CEO, Westside Future Fund
Click here to read the full column.
Recent #HistoricWestside columns for Saporta Report:
- “The 1300: Atlanta’s Beloved Inspired Community Catching The Hearts Of Many” by Britt Gray, City of Refuge & Britni Johnson, The Wilbert Group
- “Building Strong Foundations For The Westside’s Next Generation” by Justin Carr, Director of Partnerships, Westside Future Fund
- “Creating Sustainable Change, and a Beloved Community, on Atlanta’s Westside” by Chick-fil-A’s Rodney Bullard
- “Two Years of Westside Future Fund” by John Ahmann, President and CEO of Westside Future Fund
- “The Power of ‘We’” by The Atlanta University Consortium (AUCC)
- “It Takes a Village to Make a Park” by Michael Halicki, executive director of Park Pride
- “Building Momentum At Hollis Innovation Academy” by
Dr. Beverly D. Tatum, Westside Future Fund board member and President Emerita of Spelman College
- “A Westside Story” by Rev. Howard Beckham, Westside native and President and CEO of Integrity CDC
- “Building Atlanta Together” by John Ahmann, President and CEO of Westside Future Fund
- “The More We, the More I Can Do” by John Ahmann, President and CEO of Westside Future Fund