Check out the news and announcements from our Westside partners and friends.
NEWS: Investing In Neighbors (The Bitter Southerner)
NEWS: Housing is just getting so unaffordable’: Westside residents fear gentrification (11 Alive News)
NEWS: Profile – Vine City Resident Charles Brown (11 Alive News)
NEWS: New Vine City Chick-fil-A will honor Civil Rights heroes from Atlanta’s Westside (Atlanta Business Chronicle)
NEWS: Opinion: Helping Neighborhoods Helps Entire City (myAJC)
NEWS: As neighborhoods gentrify, how do you help residents stay in place? (Marketplace)
NEWS: Dr. Diamond Jack: A Visionary Leader of Influence (Talk Up APS)
EVENT: Historic Westside Gardens “Love for the Community ” Thanksgiving Dinner (VOLUNTEERS NEEDED) – Wednesday, Nov. 22 – Thursday, Nov. 23
EVENT: Georgia Gives Day 2017 – Tuesday, Nov. 28
Get ready for a big day of giving! Show your love for your favorite nonprofit on November 28th by giving a little—and together, we’ll do a lot for the causes we care about. Whether you can donate ten dollars or ten thousand, it adds up to another incredible day of support for the nonprofits that meet urgent needs, enrich lives, and build thriving communities across our state. Visit www.gagives.org to search for your favorite nonprofit!
EVENT: Westside Volunteer Corps’ November Day of Service – Saturday, Nov. 11
EVENT: Tell Them We Are Rising: The Story of Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- When: Wednesday, November 15, 5:30 p.m. – 9:15 p.m.
- Where: Clark Atlanta University Cole Research Center (223 James P. Brawley Dr. SW, Atlanta, GA 30314)
- Details: Join Jazz 91.9 WCLK and Clark Atlanta University for the exclusive Atlanta Screening of Tell Them We Are Rising: The Story of Black Colleges and Universities. Directed by award-winning documentary filmmaker Stanley Nelson, the film examines the impact HBCUs have had on American history, culture, and national identity, beginning with the earliest attempts at education to today’s campuses.
EVENT: Hollis Innovation Academy Care Center Open House
- When: Friday, November 17; 8 a.m. – Noon
- Where: M.R. Hollis Innovation Academy (225 James P. Brawley Drive NW, Atlanta, GA 30314)
- Details: Partners, community members, parents, and students are invited to the CARE CENTER for an Open House on Friday, November 17. The on-site health clinic includes two exam rooms, dental office, laboratory, conference room and office space.
EVENT: Atlanta Emergency Preparedness Institute (AEPI) – Community Preparedness Workshop
- When: Saturday, November 18; 9 a.m. – Noon
- Where: University Choice Neighborhood Office (227 Roach Street, Atlanta, GA 30314)
- Details: This half-day intensive session is designed to “fast-track” a detailed review of community preparedness planning to minimize harm and loss of life, while enhancing business continuity and resiliency for the Historic Westside.
EVENT: Ashview Heights “Let’s Chill!”
- When: November 18; Noon – 2 p.m.
- Marddy’s (1017 Fair Street SW, Atlanta, GA 30314)
- Details: Hosted by the Westside Urban Agriculture Partnership. Come enjoy a free bowl of homemade chili with us!
EVENT: Vine City & English Avenue Presents: 11th Annual Christmas Tree Lighting
- When: Saturday, November 18, 2017, 3:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Vine City Park (611 Magnolia Street, Atlanta, GA 30314)