Check out the news and announcements from our Westside partners and friends.
NEWS: City adopts land-use vision for Westside communities (Saporta Report)
As published in the Atlanta Business Chronicle on Dec. 8, 2017
NEWS: Best in Real Estate: Westside Revitalization effort gains ground in 2017 (Video) (Atlanta Business Chronicle)
NEWS: Meet the man who was helping the Westside before it was cool. In 2001 Leonard Adams founded a nonprofit to provide low-income housing with support services in Atlanta’s Westside. (Atlanta Business Chronicle)
NEWS: Hollis recognized among top fifty-two schools “Beating the Odds Schools” in public schools. (APSHollisCrew)
NEWS: Phoenix Flies: Annual tour of historic homes and sites returns, Mar. 3 – 25 (Atlanta INtown Paper)
Featured in this article are Westside locations hosting events along the tour.
- English Avenue Schools
- Herndon Home
- Hammond House Museum
- The Wren’s Nest/Joel Chandler Harris House
NEWS: Near Westside Reservoir, Bankhead Station a $400M mixed-use development proposed (CurbedAtlanta)
NEWS: Atlanta Habitat for Humanity has successful weekend devoting time to the westside community and celebrating their 35th Anniversary (AtlantaHabitat)
NEWS: Fabian Williams, the street artist bringing Civil Rights Icons to life. (Great Big Story)
NEWS: NFL/LISC Grassroots Program and Atlanta FALCONS grant $250,000 for Salvation Army and BOYS AND GIRLS CLUB OF GREATER ATLANTA (Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation)
- A new synthetic turf field will be installed at the Salvation Army Boys and Girls Clubs of Greater Atlanta- Bellwood Club in the English Avenue and Vine City neighborhood, thanks in part to a $250,000 grant from the Atlanta Falcons through the National Football League Foundation Grassroots Program.
- The grant from the Falcons, the NFL Foundation, and Local Initiatives Support Corporation is part of more than three million dollars in field refurbishment awards allocated this year.
EVENT: City of Refuge to Host Fifth Annual Refuge Run on Saturday, March 24 (11Alive)
- What: City of Refuge – an Atlanta-based non-profit organization, will host its fifth annual Refuge Run presented by Elavon & EY.
- When: Saturday, Mar. 24, from 8 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Where: City of Refuge – 1300 Joseph E. Boone Blvd NW, Atlanta, GA 30314. The 5K will follow a path through the neighborhoods of Atlanta’s Historic Westside along Joseph E. Boone Boulevard, Joseph E. Lowery Boulevard Northwest, MLK Jr. Dr. SW, and back up Burbank Dr. Northwest.
- Details: City of Refuge was founded to assist homeless women and children in transition by providing a safe haven. The organization offers housing, support, and resources to victims of sex trafficking in House of Cherith, mothers with children, and single women in Eden Village. “In hosting this race, we hope to humanize the poverty that affects so many of our surrounding neighbors and break down the barriers that have been created over time,” said founder and CEO of City of Refuge, Bruce Deel.
- Watch Video: Resident Vanessa tells her story about how the City of Refuge became her safe haven.
- Register Now to take part in the 5k Refuge Run! (City Of Refuge)