October Community News
Check out news and events from our Westside partners and friends!
NEWS: “Westside Future Fund accepting applications for 2019 Anti-Displacement Tax Fund program”
NEWS: “City of Refuge helps fulfill Atlanta’s quest of ‘viable housing with dignity’” (Saporta Report)
NEWS: “Ron Johnson, president of Clark Atlanta University, to step down” (Saporta Report)
NEWS: “Construction to start on new City of Refuge apartments”
NEWS: “Atlanta Police Foundation gets $2 million Coca-Cola pledge to fight crime” (Saporta Report)
- Additional Coverage: “Check out these photos from the 15th annual Crime Is Toast event” (Atlanta Business Chronicle)
NEWS: “Creating Sustainable Change, And A Beloved Community, On Atlanta’s Westside” (Historic Westside on Saporta Report)
NEWS: “Two Years of Westside Future Fund”
(Historic Westside on Saporta Report)
NEWS: “Chick-fil-A Foundation, AMB Group Announce 2019 Beloved Benefit in Atlanta” (PR Newswire)
NEWS: “Why the West End is one of Atlanta’s rising stars” (AJC)
NEWS: “Atlanta’s At-Promise Youth Center aims to replace ‘at-risk’ label” (11 Alive News)
NEWS: “Westside kids ‘cut’ ribbon to open The Home Depot Backyard (Photos)” (Atlanta Business Chronicle)
NEWS: “The Race: Southwest Atlanta event aims to uplift the community” (Atlanta Intown)
NEWS: “Photos: How the Atlanta Beltline’s Westside Trail looks a year after opening” (Curbed Atlanta)
BONUS! Visit #WestsideOnTheRise’s Facebook and Instagram pages for more great Westside stories, photos and events!
First Presbyterian Church Atlanta has launched Epiphany, a social entrepreneurship initiative, and is soliciting applications from entrepreneurs with innovative ideas for start-ups to address social challenges.
Grant recipients receive funding from a pool of $250,000, along with financial and business planning assistance. The initiative is designed to promote individual economic empowerment and reinforce FPC’s identity as the Atlanta church that balances spiritual conviction with tangible compassion. Applications are due October 10th, with coaching and venture refinement throughout the fall and winter. In late February, finalists will pitch, and Grant Recipients will be selected.
Learn more and submit at www.firstpresatl.org/epiphany.
Westside Volunteer Corps’ October Days of Service –
Friday, October 12 and Saturday, October 13
- Event: The Race Half Marathon/5K + Expo
- Date: Friday, October 12 – Sunday, October 14
- Event Description: The Race Half Marathon/5K event, presented by The Unity Collective, is a multi-day experience that promises to bring together members of the running community in a moment of cooperative support, community uplift and economic empowerment. As part of the festivities, there will also be a fitness speaker series, vendor opportunities, a health and wellness expo and a day of service for race participants to volunteer throughout the community.
- Website: www.theraceuc.com